Friday, April 14, 2006

Good Friday Yard Work and Easter Bunnies

My husband and I are working in the yard today, burning brush and installing fence around my rose garden. Every year about this time, I have clean the winter's mess out of the garden and take stock of what I have. I usually don't water during the winter months and since this winter was pretty dry, I lost two plants. I did start watering, but it was too late. One of my rosemary plants died and I lost a Jackson Perkin's rose (not cheap). I am going to try to go organic this year. I am setting up a compost bin and have been doing some research on growing roses organically. I found these great books and links.

Mountain Valley Growers

The Organic Rose Garden

Roses

Growing Roses Organically

Encyclopedia of Roses

So, I guess it is not impossible to grow roses organically. As long as you are not too picky...which I am not.

As we are working on our fence I am also pondering the prospects of getting another pet. I have been wanting to get a house rabbit. Beamer seems to get along with other species more than dogs like himself. It occurred to me: If I get a large rabbit, like a Flemish Giant or an English Lop, I could let it outside to hop around in the fenced garden and not worry about it being carried away by a hawk.

I doubt I will be getting a rabbit anytime real soon. Maybe when I am off for the summer I will consider it a little more seriously.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

6 comments:

Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Congrats on tackling the yard work and going organic. Thanks for the links.

I think a big rabbit sounds like loads of fun! Are you certain that you wouldn't like to add a Dachshund puppy to the mix? : )

Have a great weekend!

Shelly

Carrie K said...

That lop eared bunny is adorable!

I completely forgot about Maundy Thursday service until it was almost too late to go. But not quite.

Jennifer said...

What sweet looking bunnies. I've heard that they make great pets. My husband had one growing up.

I've toyed with growing roses organically. I'll be interested in hearing about your experience.

Katie said...

Getting a rabbit would be so neat! I think a big one would be nice too.

Good luck with going organic! We grow the roses in our yard organically and it seems to work well, just a lot of weeds after a while (but then, we don't pull them very often).

Paula said...

Oh I love the Jackson and Perkins catalogs I get. I haven't bought one yet but maybe sometime soon.
Those bunnies are so cute!

Kelinci said...

Thanks for sharing.